Saturday, December 20, 2008

My Email from Danny Tenaglia

This is for Robin1 in regards to the Michael Jackson - Thriller remix by Danny Tenaglia:

Thanks Fred,

I'm very late with e-mail's these days as I am in Ibiza, but you caught me ;)

Thriller ... How sad my mix was never released, huh? :( Imagine remixing
one of the most famous songs in the history of sales, a legend, MTV, awards
of all sorts and just as I am done, they scrap the remix project because of this
dumb bastards foolish behavior spending way too much time with minors.
I don't want to pass judgement on him, but after the second major incident I
truly felt super sorry for MJ and his incredible existence. Life is strange ....
Anyhow, in 1994 I signed a contract. Naturally, Epic/Sony was no joke about
people having the masters to MJ music and since my remix was not going to
be released, they double made sure that I would not give them away to anyone
until they contacted me again, and they never did. Naturally, I had to respect this.
I strongly believe in Karma. I do not take or give away what does not belong to me.
I had many opportunities to get Major Attention by leaking this out, and even stuff
I'd done for Prince/Mavis Staples that was rejected and a few others, but I always
respected the situation, and looking back now, well, look at me now :)

I hope you can respect and appre ciate that I simply do not have the authority to
give this to anyone. Francois K. once asked me for it. Imagine me having to say NO
to FK? LOL He understood 100%. He's been in this situation. we all have.
FTR: I do believe Frankie Knuckles remix was released? I know he did Rock with you.
Before the project was stopped several came out like MAW, Roger S. and a few others.
It was so long ago. Maybe you can tell me?

Keep me updated and God bless you and yours,
danny tenaglia :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That means we never gonne get it :-(

Disco D said...

Respect to Danny, for explaining and staying true to his contract with Epic/Sony.

To be honest, the mix(es) probably sound quite dated now in 2009.
Most of the remixes from that project weren't that hot anyway - save for the Frankie Knuckles mix of "Rock With You". I'd like to hear DT's mix purely out of curiosity's sake, though!

I have the David Morales mix(es) of "Thrller", and believe me, I am a massive DM fan, and it is not his best at all... quite lacklustre, truth be told.
His mix of "Scream" was better.

pk said...

any chance listen this mix from danny?

[thg] said...

I have an mp3 of what is supposed to be the DT's mix of Thriller. I didnt know about this case until today. You know his work much better than me so sent you an email with the mp3, so you can tell my what you think. Cheers.